Wednesday, September 10, 2008

China Goals...

The ending of my last post (the listing of my goals for this month) inspired me to be slightly more goal oriented while here in China. As a result, I have created a list of goals which I would like to accomplish during our two year stay. It was intended to be a list of 100 goals and somehow made it's way up to 110. It might be a little optimistic, but here it goes:

Travel
1. Go to the Beijing Zoo
2. Walk on the Great Wall
3. Go to a hotspring
4. Visit Tianamin Square
5. Visit the Forbidden City
6. Visit Ming Tombs
7. Visit Shanghai
8. See the Red Beach
9. Explore Jinshitan
10. Go to Thailand

Music
11. Learn to play Erhu
12. Learn to play Zither
13. Have a repertoire to be proud of on flute
14. Have a repertoire to be proud of on clarinet
15. Have a repertoire to be proud of on violin
16. Start a band

Learning and Self-Development
17. Learn Tai Chi
18. Do Yoga Regularly
19. Help someone learn English
20. Grow an indoor herb garden
21. Make a list of Top 100 Books I would like to read
22. Read all books on top 100 Books list
23. Learn to play Euchre well
24. Be able to do 20 push-ups
25. Learn Physic...or at least learn to not hate it
26. Learn my alphabet, and 100 words/phrases in ASL
27. Learn more about 5 different religions
28. Learn to play 5 new card/board games
29. Read the news and average of at least three times a week
30. Learn a form of Chinese divination

Socialization
31. Host a Holiday Party
32. Have a poker party and actually play
33. Host a potluck

Chinese Language
34. Read a full sign in Chinese
35. Read and understand the newspaper in Chinese
36. Become Literate in Chinese (Learn to read and write 2000 Characters)
37. Bargain with someone in Chinese
38. Learn to use at least 5 measure words properly
39. Become conversationally fluent in Mandarin
40. Go to a movie and understand a movie in Chinese
41. Write a letter in Chinese
42. Be able to navigate a Chinese website without translation

Cooking
43. Make homemade curry paste
44. Make dumplings from scratch
45. Learn to cook 3 Indian dishes
46. Create a cookie recipe
47. Make a custom hot chocolate blend
48. Make sushi
49. Make tempura
50. Make Dill Pickles
51. Make my own Salsa from scratch
52. Make Singapore noodles
53. Make steamed buns from scratch
54. Make lemon chicken
55. Grow my spice cupboard to an acceptable level

Organization and Planning
56. Completely finish a business plan
57. De-clutter my e-mail inboxes
58. Organize my computer favorites list
59. Find a dentist in China
60. Maintain my blog throughout our stay in China
61. Plan Our wedding
62. Make an address/important dates book
6. Correspond through mail with family back home
64. Successfully keep track of our budget

Luxury
65. Pamper myself at a Chinese Spa
66. Get a Chinese reflexology treatment
67. Get a Thai Massage

Daniel and I
68. Consistently do nice/romantic things for Daniel
69. Learn to dance with Daniel
70. Play a full game of chess with Daniel
71. Read a book aloud with Daniel
72. Teach Daniel to play an instrument

Creative
73. Sell a photo
74. Make a recipe book
75. Make a China Scrapbook
76. Learn to knit...again
77. Learn to Crochet
78. Write at least the outline for a novel
79. Design our dream home
80. Make a tabletop book of my photos
81. Enter a photo contest
82. Enter a writing contest
83. Design a dress and have it made or make it
84. Paint a painting off a photo I've taken
85. Write and illustrate a children's book
86. Mount art I've done on our wall
87. Paint at least 10 paintings
88. Get pictures of at least 5 new bugs
89. Learn a form or Chinese art (rope charms, calligraphy, etc)

New Foods
90. Eat frogs legs
91. Try some Chinese Snacks (the creepy looking ones in the snack isle)
92. Try Chinese Beer
93. Try Durian
94. Try Mangosten
95. Try Lychee
96. Try Bubble Tea
97. Try 5 new foods (not counting things I cook myself)

Culture
98. Celebrate Moon Festival
99. Go to a bathhouse
100. Go to a Chinese Opera
101. Shop for various loose herbal teas
102. Get clothes custom made
103. Go on the Giant Jolly-Jumper
104. Celebrate Chinese New Year in China
105. See a Chinese acrobatic troupe perform
106. Watch a Chinese made movie
107. Go to the movie theatre and see a movie in Chinese
108. Go for a horse and carriage ride
109. Go to a Chinese sporting event
110. Go to a Chinese concert

So, there we have it! I know that there is nothing baby-related on this list...I figured that would take up a whole list on it's own, so I would leave the baby-esque things off. I'm also aware that this is overly-ambitious, considering I'm about to have a wee little time grubber on my hands, but I think I can do it! Keep watch and you'll find out, one way or the other!

No comments: